Support Healing with Frequency Specific Microcurrent Therapy
Providing a safe, compassionate, and respectful environment for every person to maximize their innate healing potential.
What if there was a therapy that could reduce inflammation, reduce pain in the muscles and the nerves, increase the rate of healing from injuries, help improve flexibility and mobility, and help repair the intestinal wall to stop thinning and leaking. And if this therapy could also increase function of the vagus thus helping a patient with stress and anxiety. Clinics, pain centers, and clinical practices, including the Cleveland Clinic and the VA. that have been using FSM have seen this and more since 2005.
Frequency Specific Microcurrent (FSM) is an adjustable, microcurrent, electrical stimulation modality with applications for pain and other associated symptoms. Using ultra low amperage (micro currents), electrical current delivered transcutaneously affects and helps repair tissues at the cellular level. The frequencies used are believed to be at the level the body uses for all it’s tissues and cellular signaling. They are at such a low level they are not felt during therapy.
Blinded animal research in 2003 showing that the frequencies to “reduce inflammation in the immune system” reduced lipoxygenase (LOX) mediated inflammation by 62% in four minutes and cyclooxygenase (COX) mediated inflammation by 30% in four minutes which was equivalent to injectable Toradol when it was tested in the same animal model by the same researcher. Clinical research followed demonstrating effectiveness in thalamic pain syndrome and phantom limb pain.
FSM is a form of energy medicine, which recognizes that the human body utilizes various forms of energy for the internal communications that maintain and organize vital living systems and for powering processes such as nerve conduction, digestion, circulation, and movement. FSM involves the use of specific frequencies of micro-current intensities that stimulate the repair of one or more tissues, or that enable built-in healing mechanisms to operate more effectively.
” Within a year we were treating muscle pain and nerve pain that’s just impossible. My whole practice became the 5% of patients that no one else could fix”.
Dr. Carolyn McMakin
The FDA only list microcurrent therapy for pain reduction. Research is limited though several studies have shown the ability of specific frequencies to raise cellular ATP and reduce inflammation. In clinical practice the following observations have been documented:
- Increases ATP (the body’s own chemical energy) production by up to 500%
- Reduces Cox-mediated inflammation by approximately 60%
- Increases protein synthesis by 70%
- Increases amino acid transport by up to 40%
- Remodels and transforms scar tissue
- Increases the “feel good” Beta endorphin levels
- Helps restore depleted adrenal function
- Reduces fracture repair time by up to 50%
- Enhances DNA synthesis, insulin binding, oxygenation, cellular repair, intracellular calcium uptake and immune function
- Enhances neuromuscular recovery rate between events.
What could it mean for you? Based on results in clinics around the globe;
- Decreased pain
- Increased rate of healing
- Increased range of motion and flexibility
- Decreased swelling
Microcurrent has been successfully used treat a wide range of injuries, conditions and diseases. The following are a list of the most common complaints treated by microcurrent
- Sprains, Strains, Frozen Shoulder, Carpet Tunnel Syndrome, Tendonitis, Bursitis
- Fractures, Stress Fractures, Tennis Elbow, Scar Tissue, Fibrosis – Ligament Injuries
- Post Surgical Pain, Spinal Disc Pain, Sciatica, Whiplash, Migraine, Tension Headaches, Neck Pain, Back Pain, Asthma
- Eczema, Psoriasis, Acne, Rosacea, Anti-Ageing, Burns, Lipomas, Ganglion cysts
- Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue (ME), Arthritis, Gout, Bell’s Palsy, Shingles, Herpes
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Diverticulitis, Chron’s Disease, Constipation, Gerd, Nicotine Cravings, Depression
- Kidney Stone Pain, Cystitis, Endometriosis, Lymphhedema, Stress Incontinence
In my practice, when using FSM, at times I incorporate it along with massage and simply let the appropriate frequency protocol run while I address the massage therapy for calming stress reduction and/or to support the healing process.
Other times it may be more suitable to coordinate specific manual therapy including tissue mobility and range of motion work specific to, and responding to, the frequency protcol and frequencies running.
Steamed towels provide a excellent mode of contact, however contact TENs pads or even magnetic converter pads may to used depending on treatment goals and client preferences.
I offer options for renting or purchasing homecare devices to continue your care inbetween sessions at home for pain management and support healing.
The Resonance Effect. Carolyn McMakin D.C. : https://a.co/d/5Hv2WM0
The Cleveland Clinic: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/15935-frequency-specific-microcurrent
National Library of Medicine, Pub Med: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6604905/
Worldwide Science Org. https://worldwidescience.org/topicpages/f/frequency+specific+microcurrent.html
Science Direct. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1360859210000100